Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Buying A Home

When you set out to buy a home, probably the largest purchase you will make, you want a number of things clearly settled in your own mind. These may include:

  • Did I receive desired value for what I spent?
  • What is the general condition of all the elements of the house?
  • Was my inspector thorough in his inspection?
  • Was my inspector knowledgeable? Truthful?
  • What is the life expectancy of the various systems of the house?
Let me give you some important information about this last question regarding life expectancy. Did you know that oak or pine floors should last a lifetime? So, also, slate flagstone, terrazzo tile and marble. Carpeting should last up to 11 years, depending on traffic, carpet quality, pad quality and installation1.

I have seen wide pine floors in homes in the Eastern US that were 150 years old or more and still looked reasonably good. Check in tomorrow for further information on this and other Home Inspection Topics from “The Reliable Source”, Evan Bair, your hometown Inspector.

No comments: